Wednesday, February 1, 2012

They go to work..

Let me start by saying how saddened I am by the horrible accidents that occurred Sunday morning on I-75.  My heart aches for the survivors and for the families of those lost.  I pray that they will seek God for comfort during this tragic, traumatic time.  I could not imagine going through such horrifying event. 

With that being said, I am so proud of all of the EMS workers who were there working those accidents.  From everything that I have read and heard, they all performed with the utmost excellence.  My husband no longer works for that department, but we know most who were there and they are top notch! None of us lay people have a clue what they endure and see every shift.  Yes, this was a horrific series of events, one that you or I would run in the other direction from or stand there dumb-founded.  They didn't do that.  They went to work.  They went into the danger.  They train for these kind of things, at the same time, praying that it will never happen. 

This was horrible, no doubt, but these guys and girls see horrible things all the time.  Maybe not to this degree, but horrible none the less, and maybe just as horrible, but in a different way.  So many things that they see never  makes the news.  So many things they see, we never even hear about.  Frankly, we couldn't handle it.  They deal with things and see things that we don't want to see, that we don't want to know really happen.
 
Our public safety personnel, EMS and law enforcement, are government employees, but I warn you not to categorize them as the high-paid, lazy, non-productive government employees.  Sure, they take their naps and eat their doughnuts, but when you call 911, they respond.  You aren't calling the city or county commissioner to come to your aid. Good luck if you try that, especially at 3a.m. 

My point is, the EMS (and law enforcement) are there for us when we call them.  They don't sit on the other end of the phone and complain to you about the amount of money they make, or don't make, or the raises that they didn't get.  They respond.  They go to work.  They do a job that we can't do or wouldn't do.  Respect them.  Be thankful for them.  We need them.  I know that I am thankful for my very own, personal paramedic.  I am very proud of him.  I have the utmost respect for him and his career.  He is my hero and he is one of the reasons that I feel blessed beyond measure.  

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120201/ARTICLES/120209966?tc=cr

No comments:

Post a Comment